Reception of Ukrainian refugees

Municipality of Zoetermeer receives refugees from Ukraine. This page provides more information about them.


Accommodating Ukrainian refugees in former De Sniep building

The former building of hotel-restaurant De Sniep will become a temporary shelter for 107 refugees from Ukraine. Part of the group will stay in the hotel, part in the former restaurant. This will require some minor adjustments. If everything goes according to plan, the first group will move into the former hotel in early February. After making the former restaurant habitable, the 2nd part of the group will move into this building. This is expected to be in the spring of 2023. The agreement with the owner is that De Sniep will be used as a shelter for a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 5 years. Local residents of the building have received a letter about this.

It was announced earlier that the owner has a plan for housing development at the De Sniep site. The municipality has been in discussions with a sounding board group about the preconditions for the plan. The state of affairs is that the college sent these preconditions to the city council on January 10, 2023. The city council is expected to decide on them in March of this year. During the period of further planning, the owner has decided to make the site available for the reception of Ukrainians.

Learn more

Question and answer refugee reception Ukraine in De Sniep

Is the answer to your question not listed here? Then send an e-mail to link).


Are you looking for shelter in Zoetermeer? Then sign up at one of the registration points:

Are you living with a host family, relatives or friends and would you like a chance to apply for a municipal shelter in the Zoetermeer area? Then apply below.

Sign up shelter(external link)

Information points and helplines

Do you have any questions? You can contact us in person at the municipality of Zoetermeer's various shelter locations or by emailing or

Auxiliary lines

Can't stop by or do you have (other) questions? You can also contact:

Registering with municipality and moving

You must be registered with a municipality in the Netherlands to qualify for services such as shelter, living allowance, medical care and education. You can register as a refugee in Zoetermeer in the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP) if you can prove:

  1. That you have Ukrainian citizenship, with a passport or other proof of identity, or;
  2. That, as a non-Ukrainian, you had a permanent residence permit for Ukraine.

Living expenses, allowances and bank account

Refugees from Ukraine residing in the Netherlands are entitled to living allowance in some situations. Living allowance is a financial allowance that allows you to pay for your daily needs such as food and clothing.

Living expenses as of Oct. 1, 2023

Living expenses per person per month.

Age of refugee and size of familyFood moneyClothing and personal expensesExtra allowance in private care
All ages, individual refugee without family€ 242,48€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is 18 years of age or older, family consists of 2 people€ 242,48€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is 18 years or older, family consists of 3 people€ 193,98€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is 18 years of age or older, family consists of 4 people€ 169,74€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is under 18 years of age, family consists of 2 people€ 200,65€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is under 18 years of age, family consists of 3 people€ 160,64€ 60,71€ 80,91
Refugee is under 18 years of age, family consists of 4 people€ 140,34€ 60,71€ 80,91


As a Ukrainian, you may work in the Netherlands. This no longer requires a (special) work permit. However, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You are registered in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP).
  2. You have valid proof of residency.

Read more about work and income(external link).

In the municipality of Zoetermeer, De Binnenbaan(external link) can further help you find an employer.


Children who come to live in the Netherlands for a longer period of time are subject to compulsory education. Do you have a child of compulsory school age and is your child not yet enrolled in a school? This can be done through Stichting Piëzo(external link).

Health and medical care

As a refugee from Ukraine, you can use basic care. You do not have to pay a co-payment. However, you may have to pay (in part) for medicines.

In a life-threatening situation, call 112 immediately. For emergency outside office hours, please call the number of the Huisartsen Spoedpost Zoetermeer at +31 (0)79 343 16 00.

Is there no life-threatening situation, but there is urgency? During the day, call your own family doctor. In the evening, at night or on weekends, if the emergency is not life-threatening, call the family doctor's emergency room.

More information on care(external link)

Return trips

Do you want to travel back to Ukraine? Then check out the Return and Departure Service(external link), email your question to or fill out the return assistance form(external link).

Did you stay in Ukraine but do not have Ukrainian citizenship and want to return to your country of origin or another safe country? Look for help on the website of IOM Netherlands(external link).

Proof of residence (IND sticker)

As a Ukrainian refugee, you need proof of residency so that:

  • You can prove that you are allowed to live and work in the Netherlands.
  • You may travel abroad (including Ukraine).

Note: This certificate is not recognized everywhere. Read more about its validity(external link).

Make an appointment

You can pick up this proof (sticker or pass) at the IND by appointment only. Read more about collecting this proof(external link). Still have questions about this? Call the IND on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.: 088-043 0361.

Extension beyond March 4, 2023

Because of the uncertain situation in Ukraine, the proof of residence has been extended. If you already have this proof, you will receive a letter from the IND. This letter, together with the sticker or pass, counts as proof of residence after March 4, 2023. Letter lost? Download it via My IND(external link).