• Before you leave the Netherlands, notify the municipality of your departure (emigration).
  • You emigrate if you spend at least 8 months within 1 year abroad.
  • These 8 months need not be contiguous.

What you need to know

Declaration of emigration is free and must be done within 5 days before your departure.

Who can pass on an emigration?

  • Anyone 16 years of age or older.
  • Parents, guardians or caregivers of children under 16 years of age.
  • Parents for their resident adult child or children (only if parents and resident children move abroad together).
  • Cohabiting spouses or registered partners for each other (only if spouses and partners move abroad together).
  • Major children for resident parent(s) (only if major resident children and parent(s) move abroad together).
  • The trustee for a person under guardianship.

Declaration of moving abroad by an authorized representative is not possible.

Incorrect declaration

Deliberately misreporting an emigration that did not take place can result in an administrative fine of up to €325.00.


If you are moving to a foreign country, there is a lot to arrange before you leave. It is often difficult to do this later from another country. Check in advance what you already need to arrange in the Netherlands with the Checklist moving abroad .

Make an appointment

Declaration of emigration is free and must be done within 5 days before your departure.

You are emigrating with your entire family

You are emigrating together with all family members (children, parent(s), spouse, partner) at the same time? You can submit your emigration online:

Emigration return

You are emigrating alone

You are emigrating alone and no family members remain at your address? You can report your emigration online :

Emigration return

You are not emigrating with your entire family

You are not emigrating with your entire family, there are family members staying behind at your address? Then you cannot file an online return, you must make an appointment.

All family members who do leave with you must come to the counter in person. This also applies to children under the age of 18. All persons coming with you to the appointment must bring valid identification.

Emigration Appointment

Emigration to the Caribbean Netherlands

Are you emigrating to the Caribbean Netherlands (the countries of Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten and the municipalities of Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius)? Then you will need proof of your emigration (deregistration certificate). This proves that you have been deregistered from the BRP. Without this proof you cannot register in the country of arrival.

You cannot file an online return in this case. Make an online appointment for the emigration declaration at the Public Desk. You will receive the certificate of de-registration with your appointment. 

Emigration Appointment

Change or cancel appointment?

If you have made an appointment you will receive a confirmation by E-mail. This E-mail also contains a link that allows you to change or delete your appointment.

Do you no longer have the E-mail? If so, call 14 079. A staff member can change or delete the appointment for you.

How long will it take?

Your departure from the Netherlands will be processed in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). You will not receive a confirmation of this.

Proof of your emigration

Please note! It is not possible to obtain proof of your deregistration in advance.

Are you reporting your departure abroad at the counter? Then you can ask for proof of your intended departure. This is not an excerpt with the departure details.

If you want an extract with the departure details, you can request it at one of the Non-Resident Registration Offices (RNI). These can be found in the municipalities: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, The Hague, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle.

For more information: www.nederlandwereldwijd.nl(external link).