All residents of the municipality are registered in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP).

The main purpose of the BRP is to give ("provide") personal data to other governments and third parties. They need this data to perform their tasks. The provision of personal data from the BRP is regulated by the BRP Act.

It is not possible for others to simply request your personal data from the municipality. Strict rules apply to this. You always have the right to restrict the disclosure of your data.

What you need to know

  • A request for restriction of disclosure of personal data is free of charge and can be made online (see 'Request')
  • The restriction remains valid until you request a change yourself from the municipality.
  • You can also submit a change online. To do so, use the same form.

1. Government institutions

It is not legally possible to request a disclosure restriction for government institutions, such as:

  • Tax Office
  • Police
  • Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer (RDW).
  • Ministries
  • Water boards
  • UWV
  • Social Insurance Bank (SVB)
  • Notaries

2. Designated third parties by the minister

There are third parties designated by the Minister of the Interior and Kingdom Relations to receive data from the BRP. Examples include pension funds or foundations engaged in population research.

However, provision restriction is possible for the Stichting Interkerkelijke Ledenadministratie (SILA). The SILA is a collaboration of denominations that maintains data for the membership records of member churches.

Do you have a distribution restriction? If so, a request from the SILA is always denied. The municipality does not ask for your opinion.

3. Designated third parties by the municipality (Regulation BRP).

There are institutions or organizations that perform work with an interest to the municipality. The municipality can provide data under strict rules to, for example:

  • housing associations
  • organizations that manage graves
  • social work institutions
  • advocacy organizations for persecution victims and survivors

Do you have a dispensing restriction? Then the municipality rejects any request from this organization or institution. The municipality does not ask for your opinion.

4. Disclosure to third parties due to legal provisions

Some agencies or individuals need accurate personal data to perform legal duties. For example, consider lawyers, who need personal data to conduct legal proceedings.

Have you asked for disclosure restriction of your personal data? Then the municipality may still decide to provide your data, but will ask for your opinion beforehand. The municipality balances your interest against the applicant's interest.

5. Private or commercial requests

Data will only be provided to individuals or commercial institutions if you have given your written consent.

Do you have a dispensing restriction? If so, a request from an individual or commercial institution is always rejected. The municipality does not ask for your opinion.


The choice of disclosure restriction personal data can be made by:

  • Involved individual (16 years and older).
  • Spouses (m/f, if they live at the same address). Unmarried partners must choose for themselves.
  • Parent/Guardian for a child under 16 (if they live at the same address).
  • Trustee for a person under guardianship.
  • Any adult for a person who has authorized him in writing to do so.

Request disclosure restriction personal data

How long will it take?

The municipality is required to comply with your request within 4 weeks.