You may not just light fires in public places. For example, for an Easter fire, bonfire or if you burn wood or green waste. Do you want to do this anyway? Then first apply for an exemption from the municipality.

Notice! You do not need to apply for a waiver if you make fire with candles, torches, fire baskets, patio fireplaces or if you light a fire for cooking, baking and roasting, such as a barbecue.


You request the exemption from the municipality. When doing so, please provide the following information:

  • the type of waste incinerated
  • the place of fire
  • the date, start time and duration of the fire

You can apply for the waiver in 2 ways:


Apply for noise waiver

By mail

Send application to:

Municipality of Zoetermeer
Department of VVH
PO Box 15

How long will it take?

You will be notified within 8 weeks whether you will receive the waiver.


If you disagree with the municipality's decision you can object within 6 weeks.

Frequently Asked Questions

May I barbecue in public areas?

Yes, you may. However, some rules apply:

  • You may barbecue anywhere in public areas unless otherwise specified.
  • There must be no danger, nuisance or disturbance to the environment and/or nature.
  • The area to be barbecued may not be cordoned off.
  • The place must be left neat and clean after the event.
  • Ensure the safety of yourself and those around you. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Caution! Drinking alcohol in public areas is not permitted everywhere.