Frequently asked questions passport/ID card

How long should my passport or ID card be valid when I go abroad?

For many countries, your travel document must be valid for 2 to 6 months after your return date. The most up-to-date information on the validity of travel documents and whether you need a visa can be obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country you are traveling to.

For all questions and answers about your passport and/or ID card, also visit the central government website .

My passport or ID card is damaged. Is it still valid?

Your passport or ID card is no longer valid if:

  • The characteristics of authenticity are damaged (for example, the shadow watermark and a tactile relief).
  • Your personal data has become poorly readable.
  • There are pages of your passport loose or missing.

You can apply to the municipality for a new passport or ID card. You must pay the cost yourself.

I am physically unable to come to City Hall. How do I get a new passport or ID card?

In extreme cases, an employee of the Public Square may make a home visit to you. However, you must meet a number of conditions. Call 14 079 for more information.

I am under guardianship. Can I apply for a driver's license, passport or ID card?

It depends on what you want to apply for:

  • You can apply for a driver's license and ID card yourself if you are under guardianship.
  • For a passport, you need permission from your trustee.

Trustee's consent for passport

The trustee can give permission in 2 ways:

1. By coming yourself to the appointment requesting passport.

  • The trustee authorizes the application for the passport at the front desk.
  • The trustee will take a valid ID.

2. By giving written consent.

The consent must include the following information:

From the receivership:

  • first name(s) and last name(s)
  • date and place of birth
  • address, zip code and city

From the trustee:

  • first name(s) and last name(s)
  • date and place of birth
  • address, zip code and city
  • being the trustee and in that role authorizing the issuance of a passport
  • signature

A copy of a valid ID of the trustee is also required with the consent.

Passport Collection

You may pick up the passport yourself. The trustee does not need to be present at this time.

What happens to a found passport, ID card or driver's license?

  • The municipality may not return a found passport, ID card or driver's license to its owner.
  • Any travel document found is immediately destroyed.
  • No records are kept of this.
  • The owner is not informed.

What should I do with a passport and/or ID card of someone who has died?

You hand in the deceased person's passport and/or ID card at the Public Square. You do this at the time when you no longer need the travel document to arrange matters requiring identification (for example, to close an account). You do not have to make an appointment for this. You can report to a hostess at the Public Square.

You will not receive a call to come and hand in the passport or ID card. However, a notification of the death will be made in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). This prevents fraudulent use of the deceased's identity.

Is your question not listed?

Then contact us using the contact form or call 14 079.