Home modifications (Wmo)

Home modifications are designed to improve the accessibility, access and use of your home. Examples include a stair elevator, shower chair or removal of thresholds. This can allow you to continue living in your own home longer.

You live in an owner-occupied house

Do you live in an owner-occupied house? Then you can choose which contractor performs your home modification. For individual modifications to your home, the municipality uses regular suppliers.

You live in a rental property

Do you live in a rental property? Then your housing corporation usually chooses the supplier or contractor. The municipality has agreements on this with the social housing corporations. The municipality does not cooperate with private landlords. You have to ask permission yourself for adjustments in/to your house.

You want to move yourself

If you want to move yourself, first consider whether the home is suitable for you. You should not move from a suitable home to one that needs to be modified again.

Moving on the advice of the municipality

You first make a Wmo notification (see the step-by-step plan below).

Sometimes the conversation may reveal that moving to an adapted home is the best solution. This happens if the cost of a home modification is too high or if adaptation is not possible. In that case, you will be reimbursed for part of the cost of moving and redecorating. 

You may be entitled to a declaration of urgency or an indication for wheelchair housing. This will be discussed with you in a meeting with a Wmo employee.

Moving because of informal care

Informal caregivers and/or informal care recipients can sometimes apply for a declaration of urgency if they want to live closer together. This declaration of urgency requires an informal care declaration. Your volunteer caregiver requests this declaration from the Wmo.

Step-by-step home modification application:

Read the step-by-step application process.

Step 1 > First, see what you can do yourself

Do you need help in your daily life? Often a solution is close at hand. Usually family, friends, acquaintances and neighbors can give you the help you need. Also take a look at the website Zoetermeerwijzer | Housing adaptation. On this website you will find more information about solutions to your request for help.

Sometimes you can buy or borrow an aid yourself that will make your daily life easier. Also, always ask if your health insurance might cover the help. You do not need the municipality for that.

Step 2 > Make Wmo notification

You can file a Wmo notification in 3 ways:

Personal plan writing

Are you making a Wmo notification? Then you can choose to write a personal plan. A personal plan explains what you can and cannot do and what you need help with. Please note! A personal plan is different from a plan for a personal budget.

Making a personal plan is not mandatory. The pdf document below has all the information for creating a personal plan. You can also choose to make your own personal plan.

Information for creating a personal plan (pdf)

Step 3 > Wmo notification done, then what?

At this time, unfortunately, the processing of your Wmo notification is taking longer than expected. We are doing our best to help you as soon as possible.

The municipality calls you after your notification. An appointment is made for an interview (the 'kitchen table interview'). Sometimes this conversation is on the phone and sometimes a Wmo employee comes to your home. During the meeting the municipality will discuss with you what is needed. Family members or client supporters may also be present at this meeting.

The conversation will include:

  • Your personal situation.
  • Your request for help.
  • What you can do yourself.
  • What people around you can do for you.

Step 4 > Apply for Wmo assistance or tool

Does the municipality recommend help or an aid? Then the Wmo employee, together with you, ensures that the help or resource is applied for. So a Wmo notification does not automatically mean that you will also receive help or an appliance.

Step 5 > Paying for the aid or device

Are you getting help or an aid through the Wmo? Then you can get it in 2 ways:

  • Care in kind (Zin). You get help from a provider with whom the municipality has a contract.
  • Personal Budget (PGB). You arrange everything yourself.

You also always pay a monthly co-payment. You can find more information on the page Personal budget and Care in kind.

Other information:

Learn more about home modifications.

You have help or a tool and you have a question about it

See who to contact with which question:

Ask your healthcare provider:

  • Complaints or questions about the assistance provided.
  • Replacing your help in case of illness or vacation.
  • The times your help comes.
  • Overview of assistance provided.
  • Your support plan.

Questions for the congregation:

  • Change in your situation.
  • Extension of household assistance.
  • The quality of the aid or resource provided.
  • Complaints about your provider.
  • Switching providers.

Cancel Wmo help or aid

When not using

Do you no longer need the device? Then you can cancel it yourself.

  • Fill in the form: Wmo assistance request or tool cancellation.
  • Please indicate what tool you have and why you want to cancel it.
  • You will receive a letter about discontinuing your aid.
  • If necessary, a staff member will contact you to make further arrangements.

When moving

Are you moving to another municipality? If so, you must notify your Wmo counselor in time.

  • Contact your Wmo counselor.
  • You will discuss with him/her whether you may take the device with you or must return it.
  • Did you buy a device with a personal budget (PGB) or allowance? If so, you may have to repay part of the amount.

In the event of death

If the death is processed in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) then the right to the device stops. The supplier of the device contacts the next of kin. An appointment will be made to pick up the device.

Do you, as a survivor, still want to cancel the aid yourself in advance? Then please use the form: Wmo aid request or cancel aid.

Independent client support

Do you have questions about care, housing, work, education or parenting? Then an independent client supporter can think along with you. They know what help is available and know the laws and rules. They can also mediate in case of complaints and problems with the municipality or care providers.

For example, they can help you by:

  • Clarify your request for help.
  • To help if you want to file a complaint.
  • Seeking the right help.
  • Making an appointment or going with you to an appointment.

The client supporters work at Adviespunt Zorgbelang and not at the municipality or a health care provider. The client supporters listen, think with you and advise. They have a duty of confidentiality. The help is free of charge. Young people can also contact the client supporters.

For more information, visit the website of Adviespunt Zorgbelang.